Description:Mr. Vater served in the US Army Corps of Engineers, 803rd Engineer Battalion (Aviation), Company A, until the surrender of Corregidor. He was held as a prisoner of war until the end of the war in the following camps: Billibid, Cabanatuan Number 3 and Hoten. He survived a "hell ship" voyage on the Tottori Maru from the Philippines. to Formosa, Pusan, Korea, and, finally, ending in Mukden, Manchuria. Throughout, he endured years of subjugation as slave labor.
Vater, Joseph A.
- Links to Oral History Sessions: Vater, Joseph A. (April 14, 2007)
- Conflict(s): World War II
- Military Branch & Unit: Army
- Theater(s): Pacific
- US Army Battalion: 803rd Engineer Battalion (Aviation)
- US Army Company: A Company