Description:Joseph Mauro grew up in Fairview, New Jersey, and as a youth joined the Civilian Conservation Corps during the Great Depression. Mauro joined the US Army in 1942, where he became a mechanic and truck driver for the 45th Evacuation Hospital of the 29th Division, First Army in the European Theater. During his time in Europe, Mauro participated in five invasions, including D-Day, the liberation of Paris, operations near the Battle of the Bulge and the Malmedy Massacre, and the liberation of Camp Buchenwald, among many others. After the war, Mauro was employed by Ford Motor Company, retiring there in 1980.
- Links to Oral History Sessions: Mauro, Joseph (March 17, 2011)
- Conflict(s): World War II
- Military Branch & Unit: Army
- Theater(s): Europe
- US Army Division: 29th Division, First Army
- US Army Other: 45th Evacuation Field Hospital