Description:Henry W. Duerkes was born in Red Bank, New Jersey and attended schools in North Arlington and Belmar before being drafted into the US Army in 1943 as an infantryman. While serving with Company G, 7th Infantry, 3rd Division, Duerkes was injured multiple times, receiving three Purple Heart citations. Duerkes participated in heavy fighting in Italy and southern France before being captured by the Germans in late 1944. For three to four months, Duerkes was a prisoner of war, and was liberated by advancing American forces while in Germany. After World War II, Duerkes was married and raised a family in New Jersey, working in the heating and air conditioning business and as a field representative for New Jersey Natural Gas Company.
Duerkes, Henry W.
- Links to Oral History Sessions: Duerkes, Henry W. (February 25, 2008)
- Conflict(s): World War II
- Military Branch & Unit: Army
- Theater(s): European
- US Army Division: 3rd Infantry
- US Army Regiment: 7th Infantry
- US Army Company: G Company