Spero J. Arbes was born in 1924 in Elizabeth, New Jersey. The son of Greek immigrants, he worked in his family's diner in Westfield, NJ, before being drafted into the US Army in WWII. He trained at Camp Wheeler, GA, and was assigned to the 29th Infantry Division, 175th Infantry Regiment, in England as a combat rifleman. He participated in the European Campaign from the Normandy Invasion through the postwar occupation. After WWII, he attended the University of Maryland on the GI Bill before returning to work at the family diner. He later worked for Canada Dry.
Arbes, Spero J.
- Links to Oral History Sessions: Arbes, Spero J. (October 11, 2007)
- Conflict(s): World War II
- Military Branch & Unit: Army
- Theater(s): European
- US Army Division: 29th Infantry
- US Army Regiment: 175th Infantry
- US Army Battalion: 3rd Battalion