Rutgers Oral History Archives

The # 15 Oral History Website in the World

Home Military History Special Topics Pearl Harbor Veterans

Pearl Harbor Veterans

Henry J. Bultman, Jr. Navy Lieutenant Commander (Ret.) Henry J. Bultman, Jr., of Lakewood, NJ, born in New Orleans, served as an aeronautical engineering officer in the US Navy prior to America's entry into the war.  In 1941, he was stationed at Ford Island, Pearl Harbor, supervising the repair of PBY aircraft.  The morning of December 7, 1941, he awoke to the sound of Japanese airplanes strafing Wheeler Field.  Issued a .45, Bultman was driving by the Battleship Arizona when she blew up, and also witnessed the Shaw being hit, the Pennsylvania, grouped with two destroyers, damaged badly, and the Nevada making way in the channel before being bombed and running aground.  After the second wave of the attack, Mr. Bultman boarded the West Virginia and saw the light cruiser Raleigh, which had a torpedo hole through it.  He watched a Japanese plane shot out of the sky and, after the attacks, helped in the recovery efforts and preparations for war. Over the course of World War II, he served in MARGIL Command, Pensacola NAS and Lakehurst NAS.  After the war, Bultman became a chemical engineer in industry and Mayor of Springfield, New Jersey, in 1970.
Alexander Horanzy Army Alexander Horanzy's family immigrated to Philadelphia in 1916.  He joined the Army in July of 1939 when he was seventeen years old.  He was assigned to the assigned to Schofield Barracks, north of Pearl Harbor when the attack on Pearl Harbor took place.  He then served for four years in the Pacific Theater and was discharged in 1945 when he contracted malaria overseas.
Richard Stanley Army Mr. Richard Stanley, born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1914, was drafted into the US Army in 1941, initially serving in the 3rd Engineers Battalion. He shipped out of Fort Belvoir, Virginia, to the West Coast and boarded the troopship St. Mihiel for Pearl Harbor, where he served at Schofield Barracks. On December 7th, his living quarters and post were strafed and he and his comrades quickly dug in for an invasion. After the attack, he participated in the island hopping campaigns in the Pacific, ultimately ending up on Okinawa when the Japanese surrendered. Staying in the Army after the war, he was stationed in Kaiserslautern, Germany, serving as a master baker in the occupation force.

Rutgers Oral History Archives

A Rutgers History Department Affliated Center 

This website and all content

Copyright © 2016 ROHA


Contact Us

1 Spring Street, 4th Floor

New Brunswick, NJ 08901

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.